Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Don't Shrink Back!

Do you ever need encouragement? I do. And today was just one of those days. I was weary and grumpy and ended the day feeling quite lonely, if I may be so honest. So, instead of sitting there having a pity party, I started looking through my journal from earlier this year.

On the way home from church one Sunday morning, I heard a devotional on the radio which ended with this verse:

"But we are not among those who shrink back and so are lost, but among those who have faith and so are saved." (Hebrews 10:39, NRSV)

I have a few different versions of the Bible on my bookshelf and can compare translations pretty easily. (Yes, I know this can also be done with the Bible app... but I'm one of those who prefers actual books, especially my Bibles.) I took the time to look this up in the Amplified. It reads:

"But our way is not that of those who draw back to eternal misery (perdition) and are utterly destroyed, but we are of those who believe [who cleave to and trust in and rely on God through Jesus Christ, the Messiah] and by faith preserve the soul."

My question to you--and to me--is this: In what areas have you shrunk back and not trusted in and relied on God as much as you could? I can name a couple of areas for me. And in those areas, it always comes back to trusting in God. Trusting in Him instead of relying on my own thoughts and ideas and ways to get things done.

My encouragement for you today is to not shrink back and to continue to put your trust in the Lord. He will never, ever fail you!


No comments:

Post a Comment