Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Baby Niece and a Treasured Friendship

Disclaimer: This blog post has absolutely nothing to do with homeschooling or single parenting. But it is about the goodness of our Lord and His provision.

Finally!  I am so excited that I feel like I am bursting at the seams! My sister just had her first baby, a beautiful baby girl! I'm an aunt!

Baby R is our Valentine's gift. I texted my sister this picture of the strawberries I was preparing for my kids the night before, with the following message:


"Tell R that Aunt Megan says Valentine's Day would be a good day to show up. ;-) Bribe her with strawberries. Tell her I will make her things like this for her birthday every year! I'll even dip them in chocolate!"

Is it terribly noticeable that I am excited to become an aunt?

So, my text message bribe worked! (Because, as you all know, aunts have this special connection with their unborn nieces and nephews!) Baby R was born on Valentine's Day. I received a text message from my sister around 5 a.m. the next day saying that the baby was being taken to the NICU at a hospital in my state, about an hour and a half from where I live. My family all lives in a neighboring state, and this means that my sister, who is recovering from the birth, will be in a separate hospital in another state, away from her newborn daughter. How my heart broke for my sister upon receiving that text.

Her husband went with Baby R to the hospital so that she wouldn't be alone. What a choice to have to make! Go with your newborn child to another hospital in a neighboring state or stay with your wife who just had an emergency c-section. My heart goes out to my brother-in-law, as I know that his heart was likely torn in that decision.

All of that lead up to receiving a 10 p.m. text from my sister asking if my best friend from forever, who lives in the town where her daughter is, would be willing to go sit with Baby R on Monday so that she won't be alone. My brother-in-law has to go home Monday, and there is a major snowstorm headed for this entire area. So, what did I do? I called my best friend. Yes, I called her at 10 p.m. After she already had her own children in bed. And she may have even been in bed herself. And because she is my best friend, she answered.

I shared with her my sister's request, and she didn't even hesitate. All she needed to know was when my sister needed her to be there. Aside from her own brief commitment later in the day, she has promised to go sit with my niece in the NICU so that she isn't alone.

Look at how the Lord provided for my sister, brother-in-law, and their newborn daughter! There is no blood family who can be there with Baby R, but my best friend is practically family and I know that she will be with her and pray over her and likely sing to her (she is a worship leader). Of all the times that I have wished we lived closer together and got to see each other more often than we do, tonight I am so very thankful that she lives where she does, 15 minutes from the NICU, and that she can go love on Baby R.

God has given us such a treasure in lifelong friendships.

Perhaps I should make my best friend some dipped strawberries.


1 comment:

  1. Your friendship is a treasure I hold dear to my heart! It is a gift from God and nothing less!

    ReplyDelete