Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Summer... yum!

Summer is my favorite season! I love all things about summer. The relaxed pace. The time to just be outside with my kids. Even the heat. (Yes, the heat.)

But one of my very favorite things about summer is growing a garden. When I was a kid, my grandparents had a huge garden and they grew just about everything imaginable in it. I did a lot of "helping" in their garden, too; one time I took it upon myself to go weed the potatoes and instead starting throwing the potatoes out of the garden! Oops! I just helped my grandpa put them back once he saw what I was doing.

Our veggie garden
Now, we barely have a yard at our house, much less any space to have an in-ground garden. BUT, I discovered a few years ago that I can grow just about anything in pots if they are large enough and have sufficient drainage.

This year, my oldest son and youngest daughter helped plant the garden. We planted tomatoes, lettuce, a few types of peppers, carrots, cucumbers, squash and zucchini (in an effort to get the kids to eat them), and strawberries. So far, the plants are growing really well and the kids ask daily when they will be able to eat anything from the garden.

How about you? Do you grow a garden where you live? What kinds of things do you grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment